7209 was a retrofit project in a gas condensate separation plant in upstream of a large petrochemical factory with million dollar revenue in a month. Any shutdown cost for customer a lot but inefficient operating among system failures increasing, part unavailability, and reduced support caused frequently plant downtime and risk of safety incident and loss revenue directed the customer to a retrofit solution. All field Instruments, Valves and control system were based on old pneumatic technology from Yamatake-Honeywell that named “Azbil” now.
Based on process units, we planned to retrofit this plant in two phases, First cutover of turbine area then retrofit of process area in second phase.
At heart of the plant, there was a steam turbine from Ellliot Ebara that its obsoleted system function and inefficient operation often caused unexpected plant shutdown.
We replaced turbine old hydraulic governing system by a new modern servo motor with a feedback positioner from VOITH and a by a successful migration plan, all turbine controls loops moved to a new Siemens S7-400 H PLC with a modern monitoring system, we added local and central monitoring systems for the customer to use advantage of Siemens Wincc HMI monitoring system.
By contribution of the customer, we chose the best technologies from their approved vendor list
- Emerson DeltaV for DCS,
- HIMA Hiquad for safety system,
- Siemens S7-400H for Turbine control system
- Siemens positioner for control valves and Yokogawa and Foxboro Transmitters for field instruments
- VOITH servo motor for governing system
We performed hot and cold cutover migration to have minimum plant downtime, the loops that were not possible to migrate them in process online conditions moved to new control system during annual overhaul period. There were below parts in our cutover plan
- Audit and assessment of current system and building and completing “AS-IS “database
- Defining renovation goal and identifying opportunities for improvement and complete TO-BE database by contribution of customer
- Identify all control loops and generate accurate loop diagram
- Planning for Installation and Commissioning of each individual loop
- Executing cutover strategies loop by loop
- Training and teambuilding
By completing this project, operation efficiency increased due to better process control facilities better self-diagnostic, stronger cyber security and production throughput improved and also production and maintenance cost reduced